rwehavingfunyet?

What Matters? What Works? What's Next?
This blog belongs to:

Dj Connell
* Discworld Area Head, Sasquan / WorldCon 2015
More info at www.sasquan.org
* Current Project: The Great Discworld Fan Gathering at Sasquan
* Founder, Discworld Seamstress Guild of North America, Established 2003
* Co-Founder, North American Discworld Dark Clerks.
Established 2011
* Board Chair: North American Discworld Connection

Trouble Made: By Appointment

rwehavingfunyet?

@ItBodes on Twitter

These are my opinions and mine alone.

This image of Death is by artist Paul Kidby. Mr Kidby's images are used with his permission. Copyright: Paul Kidby.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tis the Lark

A lady once asked Dr. Johnson how he came to define 'pastern' in his great dictionary as the knee of a horse: instead of making an elaborate defence, as might be expected, he at once answered, "Ignorance, Madam, pure ignorance." 

5 am ...

Really?

Well, yes. Unlike many fans (not to mentioned the man I'm married to) I am not a vampire. I am a lark.  The coffee helps. (Have I mentioned the coffee?)*

Where were we?  Ah, yes

5 am.  I stand out on my back deck, coffee in hand. The air just then is that soft, dark, velvety blue favored by Maxfield Parish.  I watch as the Evening Star settles gracefully down on a stand of tall fir trees, finds a comfy branch and puts her feet up. Light gets it's cue and begins to flow into the valley below.  The air is filled with the gentle sounds of bird song and mild cursing.  Coffee-colored cursing. Mine, to be exact.

I have disappointed a Charming and Beautiful Young Man.  This is not something Mrs. Palm would normally do. I rather feel I've let down the guild.

In the course of con events one talks to a great many people about a great many things in a variety of odd and wonderful places over a period of many, many months.  Last fall, I was musing in public forum about my desire for a panel on the subject of Discworld and X.  As it happened, A Beautiful Young Man who had attended the last NADWCon in the company of a Stylish and Witty Lady responded on this same web board that he had, in fact, done a thorough study of X and thought it might make for a good talk were he but to polish his notes. I made encouraging sounds and indicated that I should like very much to have such a talk were one made available to me. One should always encourage Beautiful Young Men, even if nothing comes of it. **  Unlike most people who come to me with Great Ideas it turns out that BYM actually meant to give that talk. I read only this morning that he has recently finished his preparations and now writes to inquire if we are interested.

#%^&#@ says I to the rising sun. 

I would rather like that,yes, especially since The Beautiful Young Man *** has art slides. I adore art slides. Alas, other discussions in other places have since turned my original idea into a panel and now five rather frighteningly well informed people will now be discussing Discworld and X

I go back inside to my laptop. Would beautiful young man now wish to join that panel, I inquire? I await his answer.
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas. - Linus Pauling
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
See you there,

Dj


* I live in the hope that if I keep mentioning, say, organic, fair trade, shade grown Kona, clever and resourceful people will bring some.

** The part where nothing comes of it is my husband's idea. 

*** Certain phrases require The Victorian Capital. I don't know why.







No comments:

Post a Comment