rwehavingfunyet?

What Matters? What Works? What's Next?
This blog belongs to:

Dj Connell
* Discworld Area Head, Sasquan / WorldCon 2015
More info at www.sasquan.org
* Current Project: The Great Discworld Fan Gathering at Sasquan
* Founder, Discworld Seamstress Guild of North America, Established 2003
* Co-Founder, North American Discworld Dark Clerks.
Established 2011
* Board Chair: North American Discworld Connection

Trouble Made: By Appointment

rwehavingfunyet?

@ItBodes on Twitter

These are my opinions and mine alone.

This image of Death is by artist Paul Kidby. Mr Kidby's images are used with his permission. Copyright: Paul Kidby.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

I Heart Discworld Fans

Neil Gaiman has famously said that Terry has some of the nicest fans you'll ever meet.   I can attest to that, as can the folks who attended NADWCon in 2009. Again and again we heard how friendly people were, how helpful, and what a joyful, almost giddy, spirit infused this gathering.  People who had been to many different types of conventions told us that the "feel" of this one was different. Again, I can attest to that. It felt more welcoming, more like a big village on May Day,  one filled with "oddly polite" folks all having a great time. (1)

Since the last newsletter came out many people have written to Neil, our Volunteer Coordinator saying, "I'm coming, how can I help?" or  they've written to me (programming@nadwcon.org) saying, "I have such and such a skill, can you use me?".

You betcha.

I've just scheduled a English Country Dancing class for y'all thanks to the kind offer of a dance teacher/DW fan. Thanks, Erin!

Other talented, experienced and knowledgeable folks are coming forward to speak on panels, offer workshops and add to our collection of arts and crafts events.

So, yes, I heart Discworld fans. They're fun, they have excellent manners (don't laugh, this matters a lot, especially to that Guy in the Black Hat) and they have many skills.

It is a privilege and a pleasure to work with you folks.  Thank you.

See you there,

Dj 

(1) I kept hearing this again and again. "They're all so *nice*" said newcomers, often expressed in a tone of wonder.  Yeah, they are. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment